Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Mending Wall: an extract

the following poem took me by storm whe i was in matric 2006




Oh, just another kind of outdoor game,
One on a side.  It comes to little more:
There where it is we do not need a wall:
He is all pine and I am apple orchard.
My apple trees will never get across

And eat the cones under his pines, I tell him.

He only says, “Good fences make good neighbours.
”Spring is the mischief in me, and I wonder
If I could put a notion in his head:
Why do they make good neighbours?  Isn’t it
Where there are cows?  But here there are no cows.
Before I built a wall I’d ask to know
What I was walling in or walling out,
And to whom I was like to give offence.
Something there is that does not love a wall,
That wants it down.”  I could say “Elves” to him,
But it’s not elves exactly, and I’d rather
He said it for himself.  I see him there
Bringing a stone grasped firmly by the top
In each hand, like an old-stone savage armed.
He moves in darkness as it seems to me,
Not of woods only and the shade of trees.

Robert Frost

No comments:

Post a Comment