Monday, December 10, 2012

The worst thing I ever did.


It is January 25th, 2011. My bus arrives in the mother city and everything looks just as it is on the catalogue. It is official, I have arrived at my destination and I have 6 hours to register, check in at the newly built student residence.


Once registration was complete, I took a look at my watch and it was 15:20, there was no time to waste. I was left with 40 minutes to check-in, and I had to make it fast. With no time for taking a breath I dragged my bag across the campus, trying to keep up with time.


When I got to there I found a long line. This is where I met the Stranger whom I made a friend, later he became my best friend then turned into the enemy. He became the biggest mistake I have ever done. He was born in the Eastern Cape and grew up in the dusty streets of Strandfontein in the Western Cape. Just like everybody else he had a dream to become something, with that goal in common we stood in line and an hour later we found ourselves in front. I had received a single room since I was a post graduate student, and he shared with three others. Much later, I made the effort to make him my friend and trust him with my whole life and possessions even though I had just known him for a month, and that was the biggest mistake I ever did.


During our friendship, I would give him the keys to my room and he would do with it as he pleases, “as long as it is tidy, and nothing gets lost, I do not mind” I would usually say. He saw an opportunity and grabbed it with both hands. It started with the habit of wearing my slippers, and then he would wear my sweaters in cold or windy days. In a few weeks from then it had developed progressively, I would bump into him in campus and his whole outfit would consist of my clothes. I started to realise that he had been taking some of my possessions home with him and he would not return with them. At this stage, he had moved out of ress, he had been living at home due to Academic exclusion. I tried to get him to return my possessions but he came up with excuses every time, it is then when I realised that I had been robbed.

I blogged about the incident, thinking that he will realise that if he goes on, his reputation will be damaged and when I didn't achieve the desired results, I took it to the police and the small claims court. I finally got my things after raiding at his home with the police. As I collected my belongings, accompanied by his worst enemy, I looked at his ashamed face and the four roomed RDP house and felt some kind of shame and regret. I then took what was mine, walked out, and never looked back.

2 comments:

princess pearly said...

Shame man!
I hope you not going to raid my house for the black coat you gave me!!!

Unknown said...

Would be appreciative if you changed your background colour to a much darker shade its quite difficult for people with poor eyesight like me to read

Post a Comment